Case Description

A young child swallowed several dozen beads from his older sister’s make-your-own jewelry set. His babysitter found him lying on the carpet minutes later and hurried him to the hospital. The boy died shortly after. Tests revealed that the beads he swallowed contained 1,4-butanediol, a precursor for a controlled substance called gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid (“GHB”). The boy’s parent has brought a civil lawsuit for negligence and strict liability against the toy company that designed and manufactured the jewelry set that allegedly caused the boy’s death.
— American Mock Trial Association

 Miami A  left to right: Daniela Pierre-Bravo, Deb O'Neal, Pavel Gurevich, Michelle Markham, Alycia Walker, Joe Luizzi, Alex Block, and Katie Law

Miami A left to right: Daniela Pierre-Bravo, Deb O'Neal, Pavel Gurevich, Michelle Markham, Alycia Walker, Joe Luizzi, Alex Block, and Katie Law

Competitors

  • Daniela Pierre-Bravo
  • Alex Block
  • Pavel Gurevich
  • Katie Law
  • Joe Luizzi
  • Michelle Markham
  • Deb O'Neal
  • Alycia Walker

 

 

 


Notable Awards and Finishes

Fourth Place at Bellarmine Mock Trial Invitational

Second Place at UC Irvine Beach Party

All-American Witness Award to Pavel Gurevich